Sunday, 29 July 2012

in which a ferret goes missing

it is a rather long and sorry tale that of the ferret and one I feel I may not forget.
the ferret saga is maybe over as it has once again escaped and this time may not return since it has escaped at night and like a person lost at sea at night, the likelihood of it being safe in the morn is smaller than if it escaped first thing in the morning, with the day to search and wait...to call and hope.
I never wanted the ferret. My son did. and he asked and asked and asked until at last weak with exhaustion and guilt and confusion i consented.
since the very first smell of musky sour hormonal piss; the glimpse of small sweet face and writing body i have not felt truly comfortable.
that it needs a playmate or three hours play a day, that it scratches away at it's prison door at the back of the garden... that it runs long rat like past your feet and nips... that and many other things i did not want it in my life  or in my vicinity.

it has now escaped a few times from poorly constructed runs in the garden which it has inevitably escaped from. screams are heard up and down as neighbours think it is a rat. it has returned.
but maybe not this time. and though I actually feel quite sad for the ferret and lament it's loss and genuinly don't want to think of it alone again without my son to like it, I actually feel that perhaps this horrid chapter can come to an end and I will never say yes again when I don't really mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment